Tuesday 21 June 2011

Rapper is dissing Cambridge?

Who would reject a place at Cambridge University to study? Well, Franklyn Addo did. And he has written an article after speculations that he did so because the music scene in Cambridge was not good enough (!) for the black teenager. He decided to stay in London and study at London School of Economics instead. But what he does say about who can study at the best universities is worth crying out from the tallest tower for all to hear:

People from deprived areas must assess their way of thinking and begin to understand that society is becoming increasingly meritocratic and that anything is possible with hard work.

Furthermore, schools and colleges should encourage people who have the academic ability to apply and help them with the process – as my sociology teacher at Woodhouse College in Barnet, Nazia Rahim, did with me. She provided me with extracurricular help, a mock interview for Cambridge and was pivotal in developing my understanding that I can achieve what I set my mind to. Schools and authority figures should be active in empowering the local community to aim high from a young age and encourage young people to take part in extracurricular activities so they are attractive applicants to whichever university they decide upon, or whatever career they decide to pursue.

No comments:

Post a Comment